Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Semester 3 at UA

School is back in session. I've attended almost all of my classes at least once.
Here are my thoughts:

Well okay, so in Spanish 102 at the lovely University of Arizona an A is from 92%-100% which is almost the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Because you have two points more of a chance to get a B.
Also, I feel totally and completely overwhelmed in that class. I was going through questions that my professor might ask and I kept answering them in Italian because they're so similar. So that's unfortunate. Thankfully a lot of people speak Spanish. My friend David helped me today. I told him to not make fun of my accent because I know I sound like a gringo and he corrected me kindly (I sound like a gringA not a gringO). It was funny, but did nothing to bolster my diving confidence. Thankfully I answered some questions correctly in class today so that was a relief. They have this rule that you aren't allowed to speak english, but asking questions in a language I don't know is hard. I started making up words. Like "que es la .... differencia? de enfrente de y (something I can't remember)" and then I just blush and look stupid. It's really unfortunate. But I now try to translate everything into spanish in my head. It doesn't work.

The day classes started I checked out the syllabus for this African American Studies class (read: general education) and I was quite displeased with it. So I switched into another random class that fulfilled the same requirement and was at the same time. I was nervous for this class because the description was very vague, but it didn't have any prerequisites. I went and seriously, this class is just perfect. I'm so happy with it. It is studying middle schoolers and how to teach them and how they feel and such. Also, we volunteer 2 hours/week mentoring middle school students in Tucson. It's PERFECT. I'm so happy about it. I also met some kids in that class and they seemed really friendly.

Also Monday night I switched into a Natural Science class (gen eds kill me) with my friend Brittany so I could switch OUT of my leadership class (the leadership class books were $320. For a LEADERSHIP class.). Then I had an extra NATS class so I switched out of that and into the last required gen ed class that so happens to be a classics course. And then I found out that my friend/roommate Kirstin is in that class! And the professor is hilarious. I honestly have no idea how the ideas he was talking about tie together, but its okay. Because he is funny and passionate and he has a cocker spaniel helper dog. He said the word humdinger and also told some jokes. (She is an arid lands TA, the only non-classics TA we have. She'll help us get through the dry patches.) (UA Police Department was vandalized and all the toilet seats were stolen. They're really upset, they have nothing to go on.) (I am proud to say my book is in its 4th printing. ... The first three were blurred.)

I found out that Victoria is also taking my online class! I'm quite pleased with that. I haven't looked at it yet though.

Anyway, I'm going to do homework and stuff (check me out, being a good student and whatnot).

Chanda C.

No comments:

Post a Comment