Sunday, January 2, 2011

YSA Wards

I love YSA wards. Seriously. I wasn't going to ever go to one. But I'm glad I did.

I went to the one in Avondale today.

It was fantastic.

I had looked it up online (lds.org ftw) and it said that it was at 9:45. So I went at 9:45 and there were only old people and small children. I decided to just go back home and wait to go with my friend Lyndsay to her YSA ward instead, but once I got home I remembered that I was locked out. Grumble. I tried to call my mom but she was in church, I tried to go to her church building but couldn't remember what the intersection was. I drove around Avondale for awhile (meanwhile, my gas tank light came on) until Taryn called me and gave me directions. Once I got to my mom's ward I found her and she asked her ward clerk what time the YSA branch met. He made a phone call and found out that they actually met at 11:30. I waited around her ward with her watching this adorable baby, Kaiya, until 11:00 and then went to the singles branch.

I walked in and only like 10 people were there. The branch president came up and introduced himself to me. I sat in one of the back rows and soon a guy came up to me and introduced himself (his name is Wayne). He asked if he could sit by me after he was done blessing the sacrament (smooth move eh? As Jenkin put it: "showing he's worthy enough to pass, letting you know he's spiritual"). I said yes, but then the Relief Society president, Amy, introduced herself and invited me to sit next to her and some other girls, an offer I accepted. They were all really nice and I wish I could keep their names straight.

After Sacrament meeting Amy introduced me to some more people. I followed Rachel to Sunday School (lucky eh?) and enjoyed that and Relief Society. Then we had break the fast. It was quite tasty, delicious salad, french bread, lasagna, pie, and brownies. I sat by a bunch of girls and Wayne (he had saved a seat at the table). It was great getting to talk to them, they invited me to FHE tomorrow (we're playing dodgeball!). I really wish I could keep their names straight. There were two Michelles, Rachel, .... thats all I remember. This is terrible. Anyway, then we cleaned up and talked to some more people. I met a guy named Alan who is friends with a lot of people from Show Low and Round Valley. He is going to BYU-IDo (as is Rachel). I also met Hyrum who lives with the bishop of my mom's ward. He and I are going to carpool to FHE tomorrow. Another boy named Tay introduced himself to me, but we didn't talk much unfortunately.

I love that I went to church by myself and managed to meet people. I used to think I was really shy and too socially retarded to meet people, but this semester has improved my confidence in that area significantly.

Random story that someday I want to remember:
I was sitting in Biology with Davy and Gina and I got a text from my dad that said: "You didn't tell me Airborne isn't chewable."
I laughed until I cried. In the middle of Bio. It was stupendous. I couldn't even manage to tell other people what I was laughing so hard about because I was laughing that hard.
For those that don't know, you put an Airborne tablet in water and it bubbles and dissolves. The mental image was hilarious.

Happy 1st Sunday of the new DECADE!! :)

Chanda C.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, easy on the BYU-Ido jokes!!! ;)
    And the airborne thing, I actually LOLd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my singles branch. I am convinced that YSA branches are the happiest places on earth.

    Also I would have laughed really hard if I got that text from my parent too. Can you picture someone's face while they're chewing an airborne tablet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, everyone I know LOVES BYU-IDo. I'm sure you will too :)
    Oh, I did picture it. And I thought it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete