Monday, December 15, 2014

Fare Thee Well

This past weekend was my farewell talk, and it was quite a doozy.

My dad flew in late Thursday night, but we didn't see him until Friday morning. When he came in the morning he surprised us by bringing Wade and Rachael with him! We hadn't all been together since Wade and Rachael's wedding in August of 2013.

Most of that day we all spent together. We went out to eat at Tommy's Malt Shop, then we returned home and caught up/wrestled/etc. That night some of the kids and Dad went swimming and then we went and ate a a BBQ place for our "Christmas Dinner" with our dad.

The next day we went to Mall of America. We wandered around and then met up around lunchtime with Mom, Darla, Joe, Jessica, and Bryson. Mom stayed with us and we did the ropes course and zipline (I enjoyed the zipline, but did not like the ropes course-- everyone else seemed to, though). Then we rode on two roller coasters and ate early dinner/late second lunch. I loved getting to spend time with my family. It is crazy to think about how old we are all getting and how different we all are. I love them with all of my heart.

The kids and Dad went back to the hotel room to kill some time. Melanie did my hair and Wade, Rachael, and Aaron played a card game.

After that we went to dinner with the Petersens!! They flew all the way from AZ to come to my farewell! Dinner went well, but I don't know if I will ever eat Pizza Hut again (foreshadowing).

I said goodbye to Wade and Rachael. They're so wonderful, I'm glad I got to see them again before I leave. They gave me a lovely journal that I am excited to fill up with stories about annoying companions and rejection and, like, the miracles of missionary work or whatever. ;)

After dinner, My mom and I went back to the house with the Petersens. My siblings went to the hotel with my dad. I chatted with Emma and Phillip a little bit and then, as I was getting ready for bed, I started feeling super sick.

The rest of the night I spent "reverse fasting" (as Wade eloquently worded it). I didn't sleep very much (if at all) and I felt terrible. I debated if I was going to still try to go to church. I knew I couldn't vomit any more because I was totally on empty, but I still felt like I was going to and I was feeling very achy and weak. I called my dad and asked him to give me a blessing. He came over early and said, in the blessing, that I wouldn't throw up and that I would feel better quickly. I was hoping "quickly" meant 5 minutes, but it turned out to mean like 15 hours. Still faster than a lot of people do.

I manned up and went to church. Taryn, Mel, and I practiced our song (Because I Have Been Given Much) with Melissa and then church started. Melanie got her Personal Progress medallion! When I took the Sacrament bread I looked at Darla and crossed my fingers for luck. Food! Woo! The girl who spoke before me, Alyssa, did a great job. I was quite impressed with her and how well put together she is.

I gave my talk and it went okay. I felt sick and so I rushed through it and didn't do as well as I know I could have, had I felt better. But several people told me that they really enjoyed it, so I guess I didn't suck.

Then Taryn, Melanie, and I sang. It went well, I guess?

After Sacrament meeting I went home and tried to sleep. I felt so sick. And I felt bad that my dad and the Petersens came all the way from AZ to see what turned out (in my eyes) to be a sub-standard talk and then have me hide in my room dying all day.

They had lunch (my favorite... it is a cruel world, folks). I came down toward the end of lunch and ate a chip and a cube of cantaloupe.

My dad left. It was hard to say goodbye, crazy to think I won't see him for 18 months. I appreciate everything he did/does for me. He has sacrificed a lot to show me that he cares about me.

I napped some more and then went downstairs and "helped" (watched other people) get ready for the open house. Quite a few people showed up and they were all so kind. I didn't get to know many people in the ward so I was surprised at how many went out of their way to wish me luck.

I received a lot of really positive feedback on my talk, which made me happy. I am truly blessed.

Then I went to sleep and woke up this morning feeling cured. IT IS A MIRACLE!

Overall, this weekend was awesome. It was unfortunate that it was so overshadowed with illness, but I am incredibly grateful for the support and love I felt. I'm glad I was able to spend time with my family (all of them!) and for the sacrifices they made for me. I'm thankful for the Dobbins and their sacrifices for me and my guests. They hosted the open house and the lunch yesterday. I'm so happy and grateful that the Petersens came and I was able to see them another time. Minnesota in December isn't a dream vacation (although, the weather really REALLY warmed up).

I'm incredibly blessed. I'm incredibly thankful. <3 I want to eat ALL THE THINGS.

xoxo
Chanda

No comments:

Post a Comment