Thursday, October 30, 2014

Building Faith, Stepping Stones

Yesterday I lost one of my jobs. I was sort of expecting it (as a nanny you have to realize that at some point the parents will realize that daycares are much cheaper, especially for families with only one child).

The loss of this job brings my working hours down to less than 20/week.

I was, I think understandably, quite stressed about the lack of hours. I want to spend my time being productive and making and saving money. I still have immunizations to pay for and things to purchase for my mission. And I still have student loan debt that I get to worry about in a week. Also, without a social life, days off are pretty depressing.

Thursdays I work in the St. Paul Temple from 9-2. I went today, praying for guidance. I got to the Temple early and as I waited for the prayer meeting to start I flipped open the nearest set of scriptures. It opened to Alma 31. I just kept flipping through, trying to remember where I was in El Libro de Mormon.

After the prayer meeting I went about other Temple duties and, eventually, I got some time to sit in the Celestial room. While I was in there, praying for peace and direction, I decided again to flip open the scriptures. This set also turned straight to Alma 31, and this time I decided to read it.

Alma 31:5 is a nice scripture, and I liked what it said, but it didn't really have significance to my question. I almost started flipping pages again, thinking that maybe I was looking for signs at that point, but decided to keep reading.

Alma 31: 37-38 were exactly what I needed to read. In this chapter Alma and his sons decide to preach the word of God to the Zoramites, who have fallen into some weird beliefs. Alma prays, asking God to help them with their missions. The final verses:

37 And after that they did separate themselves one from another,taking no thought for themselves what they should eat, or what they should drink, or what they should put on.

38 And the Lord provided for them that they should hunger not, neither should they thirst; yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ. Now this was according to the prayer of Alma; and this because he prayed in faith.


I know that God knows me. I know that He knows what I need. I am doing my best to follow Him and have faith.

It is a lot easier to say than to live, but I do know that God has a plan for the time I now have open. I do not know what that plan is, but I have faith that if I continue to do all that I can to open doors, He will show me the right one to go through.

While I wait for further direction, I have applied to a lot of jobs. I have also contacted the few people I know in Minnesota and asked them to keep their eyes open for me. I know that I am relatively unhireable (since my availability is MTW and I leave in 9 weeks). I also know that this little affliction will be swallowed up in the joy of Christ.

Whatever is supposed to happen, will happen. I am glad to have had my faith strengthened today as a response to my prayers.

Chanda C.

No comments:

Post a Comment